Are there any benefits to purchasing organic honey or is the concept of organic products just marketing jargon? In order to answer this question, let us have a look at what organic honey is and what its benefits are, if any.
The demand for organic products, especially honey, seems to be on the increase as more people are becoming aware of the health benefits of eating foodstuffs and using health and beauty products that are manufactured out of organic raw materials.
What are organic products or organic raw materials?
In order for a product to be certified organic, manufacturers have to meet a predefined set of standards and conditions. Organic.com defines the standards and conditions as follows:
“Simply stated, organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones.”
What is organic honey?
According to Healthy with Honey, “Raw organic honey refers to crude honey immediately taken out of the combs’ cells. It is not pure, it may contain rough particles of pollen, dead bees, legs, wings, hunks of wax and other impurities.” In other words, raw honey is not filtered to remove the rough particles, nor is it pasteurized to remove all the impurities. Its texture is thick and you are not able to pour it out of a container.
In order for honey to be certified organic, the “source of the nectar, honey bees foraging area, bees’ management, honey extracting process, transportation, processing temperature, and packaging materials” all needs to fall within the organic framework.
Why organic honey?
Honey is becoming well-known for its medicinal properties as it contains organic honey contains antibacterial and antifungal properties
- It is used to alleviate allergies. There are no clinical studies to prove this but it is thought that honey acts as a natural vaccine. It contains small amounts of pollen which causes your body to produce antibodies; thereby, reducing your allergic reactions to the various pollens in the air.
- Organic honey mixed with turmeric and ginger acts as an anti-viral agent and an immune booster.
- Organic honey helps suppress irritable coughs that won’t go away. The honey’s thick texture helps coat your throat, helping stop the irritation in your throat.
- Organic honey is a natural antiseptic agent and can be used to treat wounds and burns. Wounds heal quicker when packed with organic honey. A 2005 study has shown that stubborn leg ulcers and wounds improve when covered with a layer of honey.
- Studies are starting to show that organic honey contains loads of antioxidants which helps prevent brain degradation.
Purchasing organic honey?
Unfortunately, due to the worldwide decline in bee populations, honey, especially certified organic honey, is often difficult to find. As a result, local health stores as well as online websites are the best places to looks for stock and discounted prices.
Certified organic honey is a far superior to processed honey. It isn’t cheap but worth every cent you pay for it. Why don’t you purchase a bottle and experience its benefits for yourself?